Sunday 2 December 2012

Winter thrushes

Yesterday I said it was definitely winter and this view was reinforced this morning when I looked out of the bedroom window.
This was the scene:


Undeterred, I did my first walk for the BTOs Winter Thrush Survey. This is the link if you're interested:  BTO winter thrush survey. The only thrushes I saw were all Blackbirds but it probably didn't help that one of the local farmers was holding a clay-pigeon shoot on part of my route. Surprisingly there was a huge flock of Woodpigeons only about 400 yards from where they were shooting seemingly unperturbed by the noise.
This afternoon we paid a visit to Haddiscoe Island and walked along the New Cut. Here there was the typical winter fare of 4 Short-eared Owls, 5 Barn Owls, 4+ Marsh Harriers including a wing-tagged bird and a Merlin which flew in from the Thorpe Marshes direction and had a brief skirmish with a Sparrowhawk before settling on one of the close by pylons, a favourite site for perching falcons. There were also good numbers of Lapwings with a scattering of Golden Plovers, and a distant flock of Pink-footed Geese.

No comments:

Post a Comment